Engineering is now a major blood in my life I guess. Year 2 stuff is totally different now where we apply all the tools and concepts that were learnt through our foundation years to construct, plan, design, test and engineer something out of nothing. Or to fix, repair, modify something that failed. Instead solving ODEs plainly in exams, we now see how ODEs help to model flight dynamics and flight paths and through that fundamental theory, we solve it to yield our theoretical systems and see how different inputs affect our output. Now we see something from nothing. My tutee's Dad asked me to 'teach my daughter the application of maths to the real world' and before he could finish the sentence, his daughter cut in with this 'how to use sin, cos and integration in real life'. Now I know even down to the simple adaptors we use, florescent tubes, chairs we sit on, laptops we type on, they all tell us the story behind the trigo and calculus we learn.
I was handed a matlab assignment earlier this semester to my disgust but yet after much playing around, I started to like this really powerful program that can make an engineer go crazy. Wonderful creation. And here's some of the work I did on modelling a flight path and the parameters relating to it. It may still be year 1 stuff but at least it tells a much bigger story now.

I know I am pretty good at solving equations and now I am trying to look beyond logic and see many problems with intuition and feel. While the logic part will always creeep up behind an engineer subconsciously, it is good to start learning how to feel things the way they are meant to feel as well.But whatever it is, I would just like to tell my audience that it is much satisfying and motivating to look at something that you are studying or will be studying and say hey it gives me meaning in my life - to each his definition of what that means, engineering may not be your life. That is what keeps people going and keeps people striving. Till today, I am also starting to solve the chicken and egg question of whether you like a subject because you are good in it or you are good in a subject because you like it. No prizes for guessing my swayed conclusion now but hey, believe me. Figure out something you like, you will be really good at it even if there are no quizzes, tests and stuff. It is from within. And that is priceless.
no regrets.
one day i'd still be in imperial/caltech/MIT
catch me.
No comments:
Post a Comment